One of the most common questions I get is “Do you recommend that I enroll in your anger management group or should we we work together individual?Bly.
Of course, the best recommendation for you will only be after we meet, and I get more details about you, your life, the type of anger that you have.
The table below will give you a good way to compare and contrast the two main formats I offer.
|Anger Management Groups and Classes||Individual Anger Management Counseling|
|Length of Time Commitment||8-10 Month Curriculum||Flexible Length|
|Hours per week||1.5||50 to 90 Minutes per week by arrangement|
|Learn Skills To Calm Physiology||Yes||Yes|
|Learn Skills To Address the Roots of Anger||Yes||Definitely|
|Feedback And Support||Yes, from therapist and group members||Yes, from therapist|
|Articles, Handouts, Readings, Exercises.||Yes, these form the basis of the curriculum||As needed|
|Modality||Structured Skills Building, Mindfulness Based CBT, Homework, Education about basic brain science and autonomic nervous system.||Flexible per client needs including Mindfulness Based CBT, Sensorimotor Psychotherapy, Internal Family Systems, E.M.D.R., Somatically Oriented Approaches.|
|Focus of work||Learn skills to calm the body and find address the roots of anger||Learn skills to calm the body and find address the roots of anger, heal and process traumatic memories. Address relationship issues.|
|Telephone or Online Counseling||Not included||By arrangement.|
Reflection questions to help you decide which anger management route is best for you
- Have you been in group counseling before? If so, what was hard about it, what was helpful about it?
- How open are you willing to be in group? Your willingness to be open about your struggles with anger will have a profound bearing on how quickly you reach your goal.
- Are you a person that finds it hard to speak up in a group?
- Are there other co factors which are affecting your anger? Some common complications are depression, anxiety, substance abuse, current high stress level.
- Is your life calm enough so that you can work productively in a group?
- Do you enjoy conversing with others, sharing, and giving/receiving support from others?
- Would shame, embarrassment or social anxiety prevent you from participating fully in a group?
- Are you able to form a healthy working relationship with others?
- Are you ready, willing and able to skillfully address difficult thoughts and feeling that may arise?
- Have you truly decided that you are committed to working on your anger for the long haul, or are you unsure?